Piezo Drivers - Advanced Piezo Drivers enable robust high performance control over both Piezo and other reactive transducers and devices.
JANUS Multi-Slat Ceramic Transformers
Developed for industry, NASA and the US military, the (patent pending) JANUS family of multi-slat ceramic devices represents the World’s most advanced high performance ceramics-based voltage transformers. Based on an entirely new modular ceramic transformer construction concept, the technology enables a wide range of transformer voltage gains constructed by variably selecting multiple thin layers in a stack configuration from eight basic ‘ceramic slat’ devices.
Unlike Rosen piezoelectric transformers, JANUS ceramic devices will meet elevated temperature operation providing a low risk alternative to conventional magnetic transformer based high-voltage supplies.
Each ‘ceramic slat’ face has a unique surface electroding pattern; however, the top and bottom face electrode patterns of an individual slat can be distinct exhibiting a (Janus-like) non-symmetry with respect to each other. In its stacked configuration adjacent slats of the ceramic transformer may, or may not, have distinct electrode patterns, depending upon their slat type.
JANUS design enables modular construction of a wide range voltage step-up and step-down gain transformers. The stack transformer gain characteristic not only depends upon the layer count and selected slat types, but also depends upon the order in which selected slats are stacked.
Standard ‘ceramic slat’ are either of disc and annular (ring) footprint that feature single input-side electrode connection and multiple output-side electroding connection (analogous to multi-tap magnetic core transformers). Other slat footprints, such as square, can be provided on a custom basis.
Power efficiency (input – output) can be above 97% and power handling (throughput power) can be up to 30W continuous and 300W low duty cycle.
JANUS: Multi-Slat Ceramic Transformer Advantages
- Low cost ceramic bonded version available
- Reduced design cycle (all JANUS ceramic transformers are constructed from the same six basic ‘ceramic slats’)
- Very low profile (typically <4 mm) and small diameter footprint (1 cm to 5 cm)
- Extremely low susceptibility to EMI/RFI
- Very high temperature withstand with no thermal solution requirements
- High efficiency capable (> 97%)
- Customer defined gain and power throughput characteristics
- Near-zero magnetic coupling characteristics
- Amenable to parallel stacking
- Extremely high Galvanic isolation (typically > ×2 equivalent magnetic transformer)
JANUS family of ceramic transformers are available in several formats:
- Single layer dual concentric ring and disc geometries
- Low cost / short lead time high stiffness ceramic bonded multi-slat ring geometry
- Cofired multi-slat ring geometry
LEAD TIME DELIVERY NOTE: JANUS Multi-slat Ceramic Transformers are available up to 30W with transformer gains ranging from 7:1 to 1:80. Higher 50W capable multi-slat transformers should be available in Spring 2014. Please inquire for engineering support and delivery scheduling.
Sales and marketing inquiries 570-322-2700 Ext-14 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Technical support inquiries 570-322-2700 Ext-23 or email@example.com