QorTek and the Position:
Season: Spring 2021
Location: State College, PA
Position Type: Part-Time
QorTek Inc. (Williamsport, PA) is a developer of power electronic systems, world-class piezoceramic materials, and piezoelectric device technology solutions (State College, PA). The Company is actively engaged in various stages of technology development from initial concept feasibility and reduction to practice all the way through advanced engineering and manufacturing of products to meet different customer requirements by integrating novel technology solutions into real-world hardware.
Engineering interns are capable of designing and developing materials, power electronic systems, and integrated solutions to meet and exceed customer applications. As an intern, you will be collaborating with electrical engineers, mechanical engineers, subject matter experts, outside team members, and the manufacturing staff. QorTek interns are involved with every step of the design process including brainstorming concepts, simulating designs, fabricating/testing prototypes, and final parts manufacturing/assembly.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Provide support and fundamental understanding for all aspects of piezoelectric ceramic manufacturing to include compositional formulations, powder processing, forming, sintering, machining, electrode printing, polarization, and final characterizations
- Use statistical and scientific methods to develop a fundamental understanding and translate it into process improvements
- Work in a flat organizational structure and in cross-functional teams with sales, engineering, quality, and manufacturing
- Design process experiments to determine and optimize important process variables and product parameters
- Use engineering principles and data to help solve problems and troubleshoot production issues
- Ensure process improvement results are communicated, evaluated, and implemented
- Promote and develop technical growth and responsibility among department technicians/processors
- Translate work/findings/directions into reports and presentations to leadership that can be understood and are actionable
- Create standard operating procedures (SOP’s) and train production staff in key process areas
Qualifications and Requirements:
- BS in Materials Engineering, Ceramic Engineering, or related disciplines
- Experience in the use of basic material characterization tools such as XRD and SEM
- Technical understanding of how equipment works, along with an aptitude to learn the workings of unfamiliar pieces of equipment.
- Time Management skills and the ability to stay focused and productive on Corporate Objectives
- Flexible, self-motivated with a strong sense of urgency and ability to run multiple projects at a time
- Initiative, have a self-starting nature and proactive
- Proven “hands-on” skills and people skills
- Data-driven individual – Detail-oriented, time and cost-conscious
- Experience in the use of Computer Applications including MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, etc.
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Hands-on approach to troubleshooting and correcting technical problems
- Capable of understanding and dealing effectively in an entrepreneurial environment and being motivated by such a culture.
- Ability to handle (Lift/Carry/Push/Pull) up to 25 lbs. and be able to work in an active lab environment
- US Citizenship required